Wednesday, November 5, 2008

We Can Haz New Prez!

It is, indeed, the World Series all over again around here, so thank goodness we got that joy-practice in last week (and thank goodness nothing was set on fire this time- yet). I went to bed early last night, just after FOX News called Ohio for Obama, mostly because I am a deeply superstitious person and I was too scared to watch. I remember an election where it was all wrapped up by bedtime, except it wasn't, and that nightmare lasted these eight long years. I wept with relief this morning as I watched The Speech and Jesse Jackson weep. I've been weepy this morning seeing pictures from around the country of people of all ages and races embracing, jumping up and down, smiling and laughing. This is the World Series over again, except so much better, because it is for the whole country and we've elected a man who realizes our lives and dreams are not just a game after all. I must have been carrying a 4-ton weight, because I haven't had posture this good in ages.

My whole office is electric this morning. My colleague and I were just dancing in the kitchen, wondering aloud at what students would think if they came in, and not really caring. There is electricity in the city air, crackling in the subway and the sidewalks, and damn it's been a long time since it's done that for good reasons. Well, except last week of course. I got an email from Bed, Bath & Beyond this morning with the subject line "In the air there's a feeling of Christmas." Yes. Yes there is.

No comments: